Tuesday, April 6, 2010

FAITH makes all things possible…not easy.

After what felt like the longest day ever we finally made it to our appointment to find out that I have a blighted ovum.


What is a blighted ovum?
A blighted ovum is a common type of miscarriage. It happens when a fertilized egg implants in the uterus but the resulting embryo either stops developing very early or doesn't form at all. Nowadays, the term "blighted ovum" is considered out of date. Instead, most medical professionals use the term "early pregnancy failure" to describe this situation.

With an early pregnancy failure, you'll get a positive result on a pregnancy test, because the placenta begins to develop anyway and starts to secrete human chorionic gonadtrophin (hCG), the hormone that these tests look for. Early on, you may also have some of the symptoms common in a normal pregnancy, such as fatigue, nausea, and sore breasts. Later, when the hormone levels begin to go down, these symptoms will subside and you're likely to have spotting or bleeding.

I don’t have to have a D & C this time, but the doc gave me some pills that will start contractions and help the miscarriage along.

I guess the silver lining is that now since I have had two miscarriages, my insurance will pay for all the BIG tests that I need to have done. We have found out how to get me pregnant, now we just need to find out why I can’t stay pregnant. So in about a month when Aunt Flow comes I will start taking all the tests. I will update as soon as I know when the tests will be.

Thanks again for everyone’s prayers and support! Matt and I don’t know what we would do without such great family and friends!

No comments: